FOOTBALL: Keith Wenning captures career touchdown record

<p>Senior tight end Zane Fakes tries to break free from a Western Michigan University defender at Waldo Stadium on Oct. 19. Fakes had six catches for 54 yards on his birthday.</p>

Senior tight end Zane Fakes tries to break free from a Western Michigan University defender at Waldo Stadium on Oct. 19. Fakes had six catches for 54 yards on his birthday.

Sometime down the road, senior quarterback Keith Wenning might look back on Saturday’s game at Western Michigan University with a sense of nostalgic pride. A fourth quarter touchdown pass gave him sole possession of Ball State’s career record for passing touchdowns.

Today though, it’s just another win.

“[Breaking the record] is pretty cool,” Wenning said. “But at the end of the day, it’s all about wins.”

Quarterback Nate Davis, who led Ball State to an undefeated regular season record in 2008, previously held the school record of 74. Wenning said seeing the success of Davis’ team “definitely” impacted his choice to attend Ball State.

Wenning connected with senior tight end Zane Fakes on a two-yard pass to give Ball State a late 31-10 lead. Fakes said the Broncos’ defense played run, allowing him to get open in the end zone.

He caught the uncontested pass and all but secured Ball State’s seventh victory of the season. The idea of a broken record was never on his mind.

“I don’t want to offend anybody, but not really,” Fakes said when asked if catching the record-breaking was special. “If you ask Keith, it doesn’t mean anything. The most important thing is we came out on top today.”

Fakes said both he and his quarterback were unaware of the broken record during the game.

Wenning passed for 324 yards and three touchdowns on the day. Wenning – the only Football Bowl Subdivision quarterback to do so – has now passed for at least 300 yards in eight games this season.

The offense is performing at a high level every week, but head coach Pete Lembo was quick to say that the team has yet to reach its goals. It’ll be a long time before he offers to bring up any broken records in celebratory conversation.

“About 25 years from now when we come back [for a team reunion] we’ll celebrate this stuff then,” he said.