FOOTBALL: Ball State running, passing games combine for win over Western Michigan

<p>Junior running back Jahwan Edwards takes a handoff from senior quarterback Keith Wenning at Waldo Stadium against Western Michigan University on Oct. 19. Edwards finished with 92 yards rushing and one touchdown.</p>

Junior running back Jahwan Edwards takes a handoff from senior quarterback Keith Wenning at Waldo Stadium against Western Michigan University on Oct. 19. Edwards finished with 92 yards rushing and one touchdown.

KALAMAZOO, Mich. – Most games this season, it seemed like only one facet of Ball State’s offense was running on all cylinders, despite its 6-1 record.

However, in Saturday’s 38-17 win over Western Michigan, Ball State was able to use both a rushing attack and an aerial assault to clinch the win.

Despite only scoring three points in the first quarter, Ball State had over 100 yards of offense, thanks to 80 yards passing from senior quarterback Keith Wenning.

In the second quarter, Ball State finally got its vaunted scoring offense underway. Horactio Banks scored off a 38-yard run, his sixth of the season. It was also the longest run of the year for Banks.

On the next Ball State drive, Wenning hit senior wide receiver Jamill Smith for a 42-yard touchdown. Smith had about 20 yards after the catch, outrunning Bronco defenders before diving into the end zone.

That score gave Ball State a 17-3 lead.

“It was a pretty good first half offensively,” Ball State head coach Pete Lembo said. “We moved the ball well.”

In the second half, Ball State picked up where it left off. After a Western Michigan punt, Wenning found junior wide receiver Willie Snead for a 27-yard touchdown. Snead appeared to lose the ball after falling into the end zone, but the touchdown ruling was upheld.

Ball State finished with 159 yards rushing, with two touchdowns. Junior Jahwan Edwards led the team with 92 yards rushing in the game, and scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

“We came into this game knowing we had to run it well to win the game and be persistent with the run game,” Lembo said. “It seemed like we ran it a little bit better as the game went on.”

Edwards rushed for 7.9 yards per carry in the second half of the game.

In the fourth quarter, Wenning passed to senior tight end Zane Fakes on a two-yard touchdown, giving him the record for most career passing touchdowns in Ball State history.

Late in the game, freshman quarterback Ozzie Mann entered the game, replacing Wenning, with Ball State nursing a 38-10 lead.

“Nothing against Keith, but I think it’s the offense as a whole helping each other,” Fakes said of the success. “If Keith has a bad throw, the line will turn around to him and say ‘Next play.’ Anybody on our offense can be a leader at any time.”