FOOTBALL: Attendance at Ball State football games continues to improve

Attendees pack the student section during the football game against the University of Toledo on Saturday. The game had the highest attendance since 2008, with 18,329 people. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

When evaluating a crowd of 16,327 that attended the Ball State football team’s season opener, athletic director Bill Scholl was hesitant to call it anything more than an “opening day phenomenon.”

Two home games later, it’s clear that the numbers are nothing of the sort. While attendance against Army dipped to 15,106 earlier this month, 18,329 people poured into Scheumann Stadium to see Ball State beat the University of Toledo.

Attendance for Saturday’s game was the highest of any home game since Ball State’s undefeated 2008 campaign.

Scholl said attendance is gradually improving.

“I’ve been using the word momentum,” Scholl said. “I think there’s a lot of momentum gathering, and I think our fans are realizing how much fun it is to come out and watch the football team.”

With three home games, this year’s average attendance is 16,587.

In last season’s Family Weekend game against South Florida, 16,397 fans filed into to the stadium — 3,657 more than the 2012 average.

After Scheumann Stadium was renovated to include 22,500 seats in 2007, it has been filled completely five times. Once in 2003, 2004 and 2006 and twice in 2008.

The most recent was the final home game of 2008 when 23,861 fans watched Ball State defeat Western Michigan University to capture its regular season Mid-American Conference Championship.

He said this season’s fan base hasn’t reached its peak yet though, he hopes to see the growth continue.

“There will be ups and downs,” Scholl said. “I don’t think we’re out of the woods, and I don’t think we’re going to sell out every week. But between our community fans and the student fans, I hope people are realizing this is a pretty good team.”

The team has won 10 of its last 11 regular-season games dating back to last season. With 200 points through its first five games of the season, Ball State is just seven shy of the mark set in 2008 — that team drew in crowds of more than 20,000 in four of its six home games.

Ball State is 3-0 in its home games this season, putting up its highest attendance in three-straight games since 2008 as well. Scholl said Saturday’s crowd was exciting in a number of ways, and he looks forward to seeing the large crowds continue in upcoming games.

After Saturday’s road game, Ball State will return to Scheumann Stadium and MAC play on Oct. 12 for its Homecoming game against Kent State University.