FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State finishes weekend 0-2

The Ball State Cardinals lost this weekend as they traveled to face the Chippewas of Central Michigan University as well as the No. 19-ranked Wolverines of University of Michigan.

Ball State opened up MAC conference play against Central Michigan on Saturday only to come out with a shutout loss. The Chippewas, led by junior forward Cayleigh Immelman, slipped past the Cardinals for a 1-0 victory.

Immelman scored the game’s only goal at the 35:40 mark, and Central Michigan never looked back.

Sophomore goalkeeper Shelby Henley added to her stingy saves column with another five saves Saturday. 

This MAC conference loss pushed Ball State back to .500 at 5-5 with a 0-1 MAC conference record. 

The Cardinals then prepared their minds for another tough opponent, the Wolverines. The trip to Ann Arbor, Mich., on Sunday proved to be a long one as the ranked Wolverines crushed the Cardinals 10-2.

Led by senior forward Rachael Mack, the Wolverines had a balanced attack. Mack would score four times in the match to add to six other Wolverine goals. 

Ball State sophomore forward Allie White scored her second goal this season off an assist from junior midfielder Tarel Teach. Sophomore midfielder Bethany Han scored a goal at the 68:22 mark, which was her first collegiate goal. 

Michigan had 22 total shots this game with eight penalty corners. Henley added six more saves to her season total of 76 saves.

Ball State is now 5-6 before traveling Friday to Oxford, Ohio, to face the RedHawks of Miami University.