FOOTBALL: Conaway showing promise as freshman

Freshman cornerback Darius Conaway goes through a drill in practice on Sept. 18, 2013. Conaway has earned more playing time due to his game at North Texas. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Many new college athletes have their first “welcome to college” moment after a year or two of playing.

Ball State freshman cornerback Darius Conaway’s moment came much earlier – in summer camp.

“I thought I was a lot better than I was,” Conaway said. “In college, every snap is on film. Every time you practice, the next day, coaches correct you. I finally noticed I wasn’t as good as I thought I was coming out of high school. … I feel like I had a slump. I was playing probably the worst football I’ve played in a while.”

How did he get out of the slump?

“I just kept playing hard and stayed focused,” he said.

Conaway didn’t play in Ball State’s season opener against Illinois State. Against Army, he only played in the final series of a blowout game.

However, he played extensive minutes Saturday against North Texas. He was able to get an opportunity due to starting cornerback Eric Patterson’s one-game suspension and due to many defensive players cramping up throughout the game.

During the game, the Kennesaw, Ga., native wasn’t fazed by the Texas heat.

“I’ve never cramped in my life playing football,” Conaway said. “I guess it was an advantage to me. … I’m used to playing in hot weather. I’ve played in hotter games.”

Conaway’s play against the Mean Green was lauded by head coach Pete Lembo.

“I thought Darius Conaway did some outstanding things,” Lembo said after the North Texas game. “I’m sure there are going to be some plays where he didn’t grade out great, but I thought he rose to the challenge and to the opportunity.”

Conaway ended the game with six total tackles and two pass breakups.

Despite Lembo’s initial comments, Conaway remains self-critical.

“I feel like I didn’t play as well as a lot of people think,” he said. “There are a lot of smaller things I could’ve done better at.”

Conaway said he could’ve read certain things in North Texas’ offense faster. He also said he missed a few tackles.

Conaway was recruited with starting safety Martez Hester, who went to the same high school in Georgia. Defensive coordinator Jay Bateman helped recruit them. Bateman said Conaway had the athleticism and competitiveness to compete.

“[When] I first got in, it was kind of fast,” Conaway recalled of his favorite play. “A couple plays went by. Coach Bateman called a timeout. Martez was like ‘Let’s go, brother. Look who’s in, it’s me and you. Let’s go; let’s play. It’s like the old days.’ That kind of motivated me to play harder. I liked it even more. That’s what we came here to do, so let’s do it.”

Freshman Tyree Holder also played extensively against North Texas in Patterson’s absence.

“I think Tyree did well, too,” Bateman said. “I think the corner position is pretty good for awhile now.”