FOOTBALL: Ball State defense overcomes Army’s triple-option in 40-14 victory

Ball State running back Teddy Williamson attempts to juke an army defender during a drive on Sept. 7. Williamson had 58 yards rushing during the game today. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Just 56 seconds in, the Ball State defense was on its heels.

Paired with the absence of veteran defensive end Jonathan Newsome, Army’s third play from scrimmage – a 71-yardtouchdown run – could have set the pace for Saturday’s game.

“When you go out there (the offense) is fast, one of the fastest teams we’re going to face all year,” defensive tackle Nathan Ollie said. “Everything’s fast, so you have to make plays.”

Army’s speed was made evident just in the game’s first minute, but Ball State was able to respond defensively. The Black Knights were unable to produce any points over the team’s next six drives.

Head coach Pete Lembo was pleased with his team’s ability to bounce back from the early miscue.

“It was good to see us calm down,” Lembo said. “Once again, nobody panicked. One thing you have seen us do, is be able to respond to big plays from our opponent.”

Fifth-year senior Newsome was sidelined with an ankle injury. The 6’3” defensive end made three tackles – one for a loss of three yards – in the season opener against Illinois State.

In Newsome’s place on Saturday was sophomore Michael Ayers. His career-high eight tackles were the second most of any Ball State defender.

“There’s no shock,” Lembo said of losing veteran players to injury. “The way we do things 365 days a year, we get the next guy ready and we believe in each other.”

Offensively, Ball State was without veteran running back Jahwan Edwards. The same philosophy was made evident as the Cardinals scored 37 unanswered points after the defense’s allowed that first touchdown run.

Linebacker Zack Ryan recorded a career-high 11 tackles to lead the team. Though Ball State saw multiple players step up on defense, Army was able to run effectively through most of the game.

The Black Knights ran the ball 64 times for 363 yards on the ground for an average of 5.7 yards per rush. Lembo said the rushing numbers were all but expected.

“You know they’re going to get their yards,” he said. “We gave up some big plays – a couple missed tackles, and some missed assignments – especially when some of those younger guys are in the game.”

Ball State kept Army from scoring though, giving up just two touchdowns. The Cardinals forced three turnovers, five punts and twice took over possession after Army failed to convert on fourth down.

“When you also factor in that we were without a couple of our veteran players,” Lembo said. “And some of our younger guys were forced to step up, I think that makes it even that much more satisfying.”