FOOTBALL: Ball State beats Toledo, 31-24

Fourth quarter

It took Toledo all of four seconds to score in the fourth quarter.

After a false start penalty moving the offense to the Ball State 10-yard line, Terrance Owens found Alonzo Russell for a 10-yard score to tie the ball game at 17-all.

Ball State started at its own 40-yard line after Jamill Smith returned the ensuing kickoff from the goal line. His returned seemed to put life into Ball State's offense as the Cardinals moved the ball effectively into Toledo territory after a 12-yard run from Jahwan Edwards that was followed by a 12-yard reception from Willie Snead.

A ball from Keith Wenning to Jordan Williams for 16 yards put Ball State inside the Toledo 7-yard line. Wenning scored on a 7-yard after a beautifully executed fake handoff to Horactio Banks.

The touchdown gave Ball State a 24-17 lead.

Toledo took the ball and quickly moved into Ball State territory. An excellent open field tackle by Brian Jones forced Toledo into a 4th and 4 from the Ball State 37. Owens found Bernard Reedy, who was a yard short of the first down marker because he had to dive for the ball.

But three just as soon as Toledo turned the ball over, the visitors got it back after Wenning's pass was tipped and picked off by Ross Madison. He returned the ball back to the Ball State 34-yard line, giving his team excellent field position to start the drive.

The Rockets set themselves up with another goal-to-go situation at the Ball State 8-yard line. David Fluellen found the end zone on a 1-yard run from the Wildcat formation and tied the game at 24-all with just over six minutes remaining in the game.

Ball State put together its own drive through the air with passes to Snead and Williams. The Rockets were hit with another pass interference call in the end zone, putting the ball at the 7-yard line. Two plays later, Edwards scored his third touchdown of the game with a 4-yard run to put Ball State up 31-24 with 3:01 left in the game.

Toledo's ensuing drive was slower and fourth themselves in a 4th and 6 situation from the Ball State 49 with 1:13 remaining. Owens pass to Russell fell incomplete, which drew pass interference pleads from Russell and Toledo coach Matt Campbell.

The interference wasn't given as Ball State went into victory formation to beat Toledo 31-24.

Third quarter

Toledo was driving on its opening drive of the second half before committing its first turnover of the game.

Cornerback Eric Patterson forced Terrance Owens out of the pocket and made a hurried throw, which was intercepted by Ball State's Kenny Lee at his own 30-yard line. Ball State's offense couldn't do anything with the takeaway as it was forced to punt after five plays.

Toledo finally put a drive together in the middle of the third quarter. Using a balance of screen passes and runs by David Fluellen, the Rockets got as deep as the Cardinals' 3-yard line. After an illegal formation penalty, the offense was moved back to the 8-yard line.

On the next play, Fluellen fumbled the exchange with Owens and Ball State's Zack Ryan recovered the ball at the Ball State 9-yard line.

Ball State used the takeaway to get to midfield after a pass from Keith Wenning to Jordan Williams, but the drive stalled again and a punt was forced.

The Rockets took over at their own 20-yard line and quickly marched to the Cardinals' side of the field.

By the end of the quarter, Toledo is threatening to tie the game with the ball at the Ball State 5-yard line.

Second quarter

After a slow start to the second quarter, Ball State retook the lead on Jahwan Edwards second touchdown of the day.

His second score came from 14-yards out, beating a Toledo blitz and giving Ball State a 17-10 lead with just over 11 minutes left in the half. The play looked odd because of the zone read option, but both Wenning was running directly behind Edwards as the touchdown was scored.

Toledo's offensive struggles in the game continued as it was forced into a quick 3-and-out that included a sack on quarterback Terrance Owens by Kenny Lee.

Ball State was moving the ball well and into Toledo territory before Jamill Smith fumbled trying to evade a tackle. Toledo recovered the ball at its own 37-yard line. Again, Toledo was forced into another 3-and-out.

Both offenses struggled as the second quarter progressed after three consecutive 3-and-outs.

On the final drive of the first half, Ball State was driving into Toledo territory and just outside field goal range before a sack on Wenning ended the drive and the half.

Ball State ran out the clock holding onto a 17-10 lead at the half.

First quarter

Keith Wenning went 3 for 3 for 44 yards and Jahwan Edwards ran five times for 29 yards on Ball State's opening drive against Toledo and marched right down the field.

Ball State remained the only team in the country to score touchdowns on its opening drive of every game this season when Edwards walked into the end zone on a two-yard run to give the Cardinals an early 7-0 lead against the Rockets.

Toledo managed to get into Ball State territory on its opening drive, but a taunting penalty against wide receiver Bernard Reedy pushed the visitors back and effectively stalled the drive. Ball State couldn't do anything with its following drive and was forced to punt.

The second drive proved to be better for the Rockets, getting to the opposing 27-yard line before hitting a 44-yard field goal to cut the Cardinals' lead to 7-3 late in the opening quarter.

The Cardinals had the ball for two plays on the following drive before Wenning was stripped of the ball and the Rockets' Junior Sylvestre took the fumble for a 23-yard touchdown.

With the touchdown, Toledo took a 10-7 lead.

Ball State responded by quickly getting to Toledo's 5-yard line after a 55-yard reception by Willie Snead. The Cardinals couldn't find the end zone after three straight incompletions and Scott Secor drilled a 22-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 before the end of the quarter.

Pregame

Injuries haven’t changed since the initial prognosis earlier in the week. Wide receivers KeVonn Mabon and Connor Ryan are out. Mabon will miss the rest of the season with a collarbone injury. Ryan has a thumb injury.

Starting safety Martez Hester is questionable with an ankle injury. He was injured last week at Eastern Michigan.

Probable are Jordan Williams (turf toe), Nick Plavchak (ankle), Kenneth Lee (knee) and Chris Calloway (neck).

Check back for quarterly updates.