4 DOWNS: 4 things you need to know before Saturday's game at Eastern Michigan

Ball State has started fast this season.

In Ball State’s first three games, the offense has marched down the field and scored a touchdown on each opening drive. In the season opener against Illinois State, Ball State scored on a 10-play, 79-yard drive. Against Army, it was a 9-play, 60-yard drive that did the trick. Finally, last Saturday at North Texas, Ball State went 75 yards in nine plays for the score.

Lembo’s take: “It’s set the tone in those three games. I think it shows that our guys have been ready to go, coming out of the gate — very focused.”

Injuries have begun to take their toll on the Cardinals.

After playing yet another game without starting running back Jahwan Edwards, Ball State has listed him as probable for Saturday. However, Ball State will not have sophomore wide receiver KeVonn Mabon for this game or the remainder of the season with a broken collarbone. Fellow wide receiver Connor Ryan is questionable with a thumb injury, and guard Jalen Schlachter is also questionable with an ankle injury.

Lembo’s Take: “You just have to deal with it. We don’t make excuses. We never do. Last year we were basically injury-free until we got to mid-November and then we got to our last two games of the season. When it rains, it pours. That’s just football. This year we seem to be dealing with more [injuries] early in the season. You deal with it, and you keep moving forward.”

Eastern Michigan’s leading receiver plays an unusual position.

While most teams’ leading receivers are wide receivers, Eastern Michigan’s leading pass catcher plays tight end. Tyreese Russell came into the 2013 season with 18 career receptions for Eastern Michigan, but has 19 this season. He is one of three tight ends the Eagles use in their offense. He has also had success against Ball State. In 2011, Russell scored two touchdowns against the Cardinals.

Lembo’s Take: “They’ll play three tight ends. Each of those tight ends has some different strengths and weaknesses. They’re used in a lot of different ways. Sometimes they’ll get into traditional two-tight end looks — both of them on the ball. Sometimes one will be off the ball. Similar to what we’ve seen from North Texas and Illinois State. They’ll move them around and use them a little more as an h-back.”

Eastern Michigan is careful with the football.

While Ball State committed five turnovers in Saturday’s loss to North Texas, Eastern Michigan has committed less than half that so far this season. Quarterback Tyler Benz threw one interception against Howard in the season opener, then another on Saturday against Rutgers. Just three players have fumbled, but they were all recovered by the Eagles. In 2012, Eastern Michigan committed 21 total turnovers. In 2011, they committed 17.

Lembo’s Take: “They are controlling the ball. They’ve had good balance.”