BASEBALL: Ball State falls to ISU

Historically, the Ball State baseball team has struggled on the road against Indiana State. The team went into Tuesday’s game having not won in Terre Haute since 1991.

The Cardinals looked like they might end the Sycamore’s streak through the game’s first six innings. Ball State rallied in the top of the second behind a Cody Campbell single and a Billy Wellman double.

Blake Beemer would ground out to score Campbell. Dominick Catanzarite followed with a left-field single that scored Wellman, pushing the score to 2-1.

Solid defensive play through the next four innings kept the Sycamores at bay, though they would score on a Ball State throwing error in the fifth.

Jarrett James scored for the Cardinals in the seventh inning. He entered the game as a pinch runner for Kevin Schlotter and managed to steal second.

A pair of wild pitches allowed James to work across third and finally home plate, giving Ball State a 3-2 lead in the top of the seventh.

Indiana State senior Robby Ort drilled a two-run triple in the bottom of the seventh to give the Sycamores a 4-3 lead, which would be the game’s final score.

The Cardinals were unable to take a victory in Terre Haute, and continued a drought that has lasted over two decades, but doing so would have been nothing more than a consolation prize in the team’s biggest week of the season.

On Thursday, Ball State returns home to host Northern Illinois in the first of a three-game series. The Huskies currently hold a two-game lead over Ball State in the Mid-American Conference West division.

Being that it is the final series of the regular season, the outcome will determine post-season position for both teams.