SOFTBALL: Ball State falls to Eastern Michigan

Cardinals suffer second MAC loss of season

Ball State fell to Eastern Michigan in the first of a two-game series on Saturday.

The Cardinals (32-14) now hold a 15-2 record in the MAC, while Eastern Michigan (15-29) moves to 5-11 in conference play.

Despite having two outs in the bottom of the first inning, Eastern Michigan was able to score on a two-run double courtesy of Amanda Stanton.

Eagle catcher, Courtney Loe, added a home run later in the same inning, pushing the lead to 4-0. The Eagles would remain in control of the game with strong pitching from Jenna Ignowksi.

Freshman pitcher Kelsey Schifferdecker threw one of her two strike outs in the bottom of the third. With bases loaded and two outs, her clutch pitching prevented any further scoring and kept the game in reach for the Cardinals.

Ball State would get its first run of the game in the top of the fourth. Junior left fielder, Jennifer Gilbert, reached base on an error. She would make her way around the diamond and score on a second Eagle error.

After the much needed spark on offense, the Cardinals loaded the bases with just one out in the inning. They were unable to capitalize however, and Eastern Michigan held on to a 4-1 lead.  

With runs from two Eagles in the bottom of the fourth the game looked to be out of hand. Ball State did not lose focus, however, and held on for a late rally. 

Amanda Carpenter kicked off the Ball State rally in the top of the sixth with a one-out double off the left field wall. Her 18th double of the season moves her within one of the team-record 19, set by Gilbert and Amanda Montalto last season.

Sadie Robertson would post an RBI single later in the inning giving Ball State its second run of the game. Sophomore Lauren Schroeder hit a double to center field moving a Cardinal runner to third.

A pinch hit double from Jessica Craft would bring in two runs, bringing the Cardinals within two.

Eagle pitcher Lindsay Rich ended the run with a groundout to end the inning.

The two teams will square off Sunday at Eastern Michigan’s Varsity field. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.