Ball State athletics announces fundraising campaign, new facilities

University plans to build new facilities for football, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball and golf teams

Athletic director Bill Scholl discusses the new athletic facility improvements during a press conference on April 20. Ball State officially announced a $20 million initiative to both improve current athletic facilities and build new ones. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Ball State officials announced a $20 million fundraising campaign Saturday with the goal of building new facilities for several different athletics programs. 

An invite-only news conference was held inside Worthen Arena to introduce the project, which includes four new facilities for the athletic department.

Renovations will be made to the current facilities for the baseball and softball teams, creating a new ballpark complex. A new team room, coaches' and officials' locker rooms, restroom and concessions facilities and upgrades to the field and press box will be included in the multiple new additions to the complex.

The university also plans to build a new practice facility on the northwest side of Worthen Arena, encompassing a new practice court, new basketball locker rooms and expanded volleyball locker rooms.

A new football complex will be installed that will create more space for meetings and hold a new locker room, while a new golf practice facility will be built on a golf course "close to campus" that will house hitting bays, a putting green and locker rooms.

President Jo Ann Gora, one of the main speakers at the event, said the university's campaign will run through December 2014.