WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State losing early to Akron

Nathalie Fontaine drives towards the paint in order to score for Ball State. The score at the half is 29-40. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

CLEVELAND – Ball State’s women’s basketball team hasn’t had a good start to its Mid-American Conference Tournament.

At halftime, it trails Akron 40-29.

Junior forward Katie Murphy has had a dreadful game against the Zips. She is 0-4 from the field, and is being overpowered on defense and outfought for rebounds.

Freshman Nathalie Fontaine is off to a good start, however. She has 11 points off 4-of-7 shooting from the field.

Akron opened the game on fire from 3-point range. The Zips hit five of their first nine shots from outside, but have cooled off as the Cardinals’ closeout defense has improved as the game has continued.

Brandy Woody is leading the offense with two assists. She’s also leading the team in rebounds with five.

One statistic that could come back to haunt the Cardinals is fouls. Three Ball State players have two fouls, and with only seven players dressed today, it will need all the bodies it can get.

Akron ended the game on a 13-4 run, and will look to continue it in the second half with more tough interior defense and 3-pointers.

Ball State will need to improve its shot selection to have a chance to eat at Akron’s lead in the second half.