WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State advances to Sweet Sixteen behind Fontaine's 17 points

The Ball State's Women's Basketball team wave to the crowd after their 53-48 victory over Northern Iowa. The team will progress to the WNIT's "Sweet 16." DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

For the first time ever, a Ball State women’s basketball team has advanced to the Sweet 16.

Ball State beat Northern Iowa in the second round of the WNIT, 53-48.

Freshman Nathalie Fontaine led all scorers with 17 points. Sophomore Brittany Carter was second with 16 points.

Junior guard Brandy Woody held Jacqui Kalin, the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year, to just 13 points.

“[Woody], is unbelievable, in terms of toughness and her willingness just to sacrifice everything in order to win basketball games,” Ball State coach Brady Sallee said.

Northern Iowa led through of the second half, until Carter hit a jumper from the right baseline to give Ball State a one-point lead. Carter hit one free throw, then Fontaine hit a pair of free throws to seal the game.

In its next game, Ball State will play the winner of Monday night’s Kansas St. vs. Illinois St. matchup.