Despite wins, gymnastics still hungry to get better scores

Freshman Denasiha Christian performs her floor routine during a meet against Central Michigan. Christian has impressed head coach Nadalie Walsh so far this season.  DN FILE PHOTO EMMA FLYNN
Freshman Denasiha Christian performs her floor routine during a meet against Central Michigan. Christian has impressed head coach Nadalie Walsh so far this season. DN FILE PHOTO EMMA FLYNN

Ball State’s score of 194.075 was its second-highest total of the season in its win over Eastern Michigan. Generally, the team would be ecstatic about such a high score, but Eastern Michigan’s mark of 193.975 was enough to keep the celebrations short-lived. 

“It was close with Eastern Michigan,” coach Nadalie Walsh said. “And I know on the bus ride home, they all said, ‘We’re not going to let it be that close again.’” 

The team remains focused on the future. Despite what was arguably their most well-rounded meet of the season, the team wants to perform at a higher level. Ball State is now 3-0 in the Mid-American Conference and 5-2 overall.

The bars have been a weak point for Ball State this season, making their most recent performance motivating.

“They’re, again, just hungry to do even better,” Walsh said. 

Ball State posted a team score of 48.500 on the bars. The team has achieved a higher score just once this year, and have twice posted scores significantly lower. The Cardinals scored 47.800 in their season opener at Florida. They posted their season-low (47.575) just two weeks ago against Northern Illinois.

“We stuck five out of six dismounts, and we did a lot of little things right,” Walsh said of the team’s most recent performance on the bars. “The judges were tough, and I feel like some of those routines we did were really good but they weren’t rewarded for it.”

Now the Cardinals are set to return to Irving Gym, where Walsh believes the judges will be more rewarding. The team looks forward to continue their conference schedule in front of their home crowd. 

Ball State has established itself as a legitimate contender in the MAC. The attitude that they have yet to reach their ceiling was established early on in the season, and still stands.

“I feel like we’re continuing to improve on certain things week by week, we have not really hit a meet yet,” Walsh said. “Our potential is outstanding.”