MEN’S BASKETBALL: Majok in contention for yearly award

Junior forward Majok Majok attempts to push past an Indiana defender during the second half of the game Nov. 25, 2012 in Bloomington. Majok was awarded the MAC West player of the week this week. DN FILE PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

There’s not much Majok Majok hasn’t done this season.

The junior forward introduced himself to the Division I scene with four double-figure scoring games to start the season.

His success against Akron’s Zeke Marshall, widely considered the best interior defender in the Mid-American Conference, for 26 points and 13 rebounds proved the junior college transfer couldn’t be guarded one-on-one.

For Ball State coach Billy Taylor, Majok has played well enough to warrant some consideration among preseason favorites like Ohio’s D.J. Cooper for the MAC Player of the Year award. 

“If he can continue to play at the level he’s been playing — scoring the ball in the paint, rebounding with a lot of aggressiveness — he certainly has got to be in the talks for player of the year,” Taylor said in last week’s press conference. “A lot of that is determinant on how we play and I’m hopeful that we’re going to play better. But I certainly think the ways he has been able to dominate in the paint at times has been very impressive.”

Taylor said that before Ball State played Buffalo and Miami last week, and Majok’s most recent performances only helped his case.

After recording 34 points and 14 rebounds, while shooting a combined 11-of-17 (65 percent) from the field, the Perth, Australia native picked up his second MAC West Division Player of the Week award of the season.

Majok also won the award back on Dec. 10. 

His success is remarkable considering it’s the first time Majok has played through the physicality of the MAC, Taylor said. 

The 6-foot-9-inch big man has shown ability to go through or over defenders trying to muscle him in the paint. 

Majok’s physical advantages over most other interior players in the MAC have led to him leading the conference in rebounding at 10.1 boards per game. He also is tied with junior guard Jesse Berry for 11th in scoring at 12.6 ppg.

If Majok’s consistency continues — three double-doubles in six league games — it’s only a matter of time before more accolades come his way.