Layup in final seconds to force overtime missed

Freshman guard Nathalie Fontaine looks for an opening as Northern Kentucky’s Kelsey Simpson attempts to block. Fontaine came in second for team scoring with 15 after senior guard Shanee' Jackson's 18 points. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Saturday was a different story for senior Shanee' Jackson.

While on Thursday against Detroit, Jackson hit two free throws to keep her team alive late. But on Saturday, she missed a late free throw and what would have been a game-tying layup with six seconds left in Ball State’s 69-67 loss to Northern Kentucky.

“I got the ball, laid it up and tried to score, and contact,” She said of the game’s final play. “So I guess I just didn’t get the call, but I could’ve finished.”

Four different Ball State players scored in double digits Saturday: Nathalie Fontaine, Brandy Woody, Brittany Carter and Jackson. All four brought a different style of scoring to the team.

Fontaine scored 15 points, most of which came from right underneath the basket. She also had three steals and a block in the contest.

Fontaine was also the main player available to guard Norse bigs Ellen Holton and Kaitlyn Gerrety. Fontaine’s best efforts on defense resulted in the two combining for 16 points and seven rebounds.

Fontaine tied with Jackson for the team lead in rebounds with seven.

Woody scored 10 points, all in the first half. In fact, eight of those came in a one-minute stretch. She hit two straight three-pointers, then made a layup on the following possession.

Woody has played 75 minutes in the past two games.

“Yesterday was a little bit of a struggle, but coaches are on us about ice baths and taking care of our bodies, so that’s what I’ve been doing,” Woody said.

Jackson scored most of her 18 points on free throws. She went 8-of-9 from the foul line, after going 8-of-10 Thursday night. Jackson also grabbed a career-high seven rebounds against the Norse.

Carter went 3-of-6 from three-point range, including giving Ball State its only lead of the game in the opening minute.

A Carter three-pointer also brought the Northern Kentucky lead down to one point with 3:11 to play, but Ball State wouldn’t get any closer after that point.

“Honestly, that’s the system,” Ball State coach Brady Sallee said of the scoring being split among many players. “We run a motion-based system that we don’t really concentrate a whole lot on who gets the shot, we concentrate on the shot we’re getting. These kids know when it’s their shot, it’s their job to take it.”

Sallee went on to say that a box score should be balanced, and “that’s the way it should look,” as Woody nodded in agreement.

One player that gave Woody trouble defensively was Northern Kentucky guard Christine Roush. She had a career night against Ball State, scoring 23 points on 8-of-13 from the field, including making seven three-pointers.

“Obviously, when somebody has to come off the wing and help, [Roush] is wide open most of the time,” Woody said. “It was frustrating for me just because I’m the one that was supposed to be stopping the ball, so I kind of take the blame for those seven three-pointers she hit tonight.”

After injuring her ankle Thursday, junior forward Katie Murphy didn’t see any playing time against Northern Kentucky. She was a game-time decision, but Sallee said it wasn’t his decision for her to sit.

“That’s the trainer’s call,” Sallee said. ”I have no play in that one at all. I rely on my trainers to give me thumbs-up or thumbs-down.”

It isn’t known exactly how much Murphy’s presence was missed on the court Saturday. Ball State was outrebounded by 11, but Northern Kentucky had just two more points in the paint, 32-30.

Ball State will have eight days off before the next game, giving Murphy time to rest her ankle, which was seen in a walking boot after the game.
After Thursday’s overtime battle and the almost comeback Saturday, Sallee said his team has unquestionably given the home fans a show of late.

“We definitely know how to keep it interesting,” Sallee said.