Edwards expects even better things to come for Ball State in 2013

Freshman running back not worried about losing four offensive line starters

Jahwan Edwards celebrates a touchdown with his team mate. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Losing a bowl game 38-17 should be a disastrous scenario for any college football running back.

It only makes matters worse for one to know four of the team’s five starters on the offensive line will graduate before next season.

Yet somehow, Ball State running back Jahwan Edwards looked past any anxiety after his team lost the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl to Central Florida on Friday night.

All it took was for him to remember the talented players he still had around him.

“You always expect progress,” he said. “Even though the offensive line is gone, the skill players are more senior now. I expect Keith Wenning to be better. I expect me to be better. I expect Jamill Smith to be better. I expect Connor (Ryan) to be better – just all across the boards. Zane Fakes.”

Edwards also said he expects redshirt freshman center Jacob Richard and redshirt freshman guard Jalen Schlachter to make impacts a new members on the offensive line next season.

Then Edwards was reminded of another up-and-coming player on offense: true freshman wide receiver KeVonn Mabon.

“Oh, yeah, Mabon is a talented kid,” he said. “I felt like he should have played more, but coaches didn’t feel like he was ready. What got him a lot of playing time on offense was he busts his tail on special teams. He’s a hard worker and it shows on the field.”

Mabon finished the game with three catches for 30 yards, extending his first-year statistics to 23 receptions, 335 yards, two touchdowns and a 15.3 yards per catch average.

Even though Wenning didn’t utilize Mabon often in games, Edwards saw enough dynamic abilities from Mabon in practice to know how good of a player he can become next season.

“Mabon will be in the mix next year, I can bet you that,” he said.

Edwards could only talk up players he only saw in practice so much, however. The most talented young players he could point out were the ones dishing out hits to him in practice.

“Let me tell you something about the defense for next year … I go against the developmental squad every day, and those safeties are so physical when they’re coming up to hit,” he said. “They’re not afraid to hit me, and that’s what I like about them.

“I know a lot of guys out here, when I run up to them their eyes get big. Who knows what’s going to happen. But these guys hit me hard.”

Edwards said freshmen safeties Aaron Taylor, Dae’Shaun Hurley and Martez Hester and freshmen cornerback Tyree Holder were a few of those players who have made impressions on him this season.

While many familiar names won’t be on the team next season, new names, like Edwards when he was a freshman, will eventually take their place.

“I know they’re fearless, and I’m ready to see them get the job done.”