Ball State to play Michigan

Cardinals to get chance to see former coach Brady Hoke as Wolverines' coach

DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP Linebacker Travis Freeman slams into a South Florida offense player at the start of the game against South Florida on Sept. 22. Freeman, along with others on the football team, have said they will not settle for another 6-6, because they want to get into a bowl game.

Former coach Brady Hoke led Ball State to its best football season in school history, but the team may see him again on the opposite sidelines when Ball State plays Michigan in 2016.

Ball State announced the two schools agreed to play each other in Michigan’s final non-conference game Sept. 24, 2016 in Ann Arbor,Mich.

“We are looking forward to the opportunity to have our student athletes experience one of the most historic football stadiums in college football,” Ball State athletic director Bill Scholl said. “This is a perfect fit for our scheduling philosophy as we move forward with the Ball State football program.”

Michigan quickly becomes Ball State’s marquee non-conference game in the next four seasons. Michigan began 2012 ranked in the top 10 but has fell out of the top-25 after three losses.

If Hoke remains Michigan’s coach by the time the two programs play in 2016, it will be the first time Hoke has coached against Ball State.

Ball State last played Michigan on Nov. 4, 2006, with Hoke coaching against Michigan in the 34-26 loss at the Big House.