MEN'S GOLF: Merkel leading Ball State after two rounds in Iowa

Team in fourth place with four over par, Missouri in first

Ball State competed in the second of three rounds in the Golfweek Conference Challenge in Burlington, Iowa, on Monday.

Ball State marked a collective score of 292, four-over-par for the course - three strokes higher than the one the team touted Sunday, which dropped the team from second place to fourth.

Junior Tyler Merkel was two-under-par with a 70, moving him up from ninth to a tie for sixth in the individual leader board. After beginning with a double-bogey, Merkel rebounded with three straight birdies.

Senior Brodie Williams inked Ball State's second best score of the day with a 73. Williams was even through the front, modeling consistency with nine straight pars.

Ball State's top finisher on Sunday, fellow senior Alex Stinson, followed up the best round of his collegiate career with a score of 75, three-over-par. He dropped from third place to 11th.

The Cardinals continue to dominate the par five's on the course and are now eight-under on holes two, four, 10, and 18. The team has only shot five bogeys through two rounds on these holes.

Ball State battled with Tulsa, a surging Central Arkansas that posted the best score of the day at 280, 22 strokes better than the first round score and host Iowa all day for the three through six slots. All teams remain within just three strokes of each other.

Still setting the pace for the field was Missouri. The Tigers have yet to trail in a round the season and now have a streak of five rounds atop the team leader boards through two events.

Missouri senior Jace Long continued his impressive pace in individual scoring and stayed in front with a 69 today, bringing his total score to 137.

Wake Forest jumped from fifth to second with an impressive combined score of 281, seven-under-par. That score was 13 strokes better than its first round score.

Ball State's first golfer, freshman James Blackwell, will tee off at 9:50 a.m.