WOMEN'S GOLF:Big expectations for Hague, Ball State this season

Sophomore is coming off of huge year as freshman

Ball State women's golfer Jenna Hague had more riding on her shoulders than a typical freshman athlete last year.

Instead of redshirting or waiting for an opportunity on the bench, she went straight to the top, shooting the lowest score in Ball State's first tournament of the 2011-12 season, and the first event of Hague's career.

That tournament defined Hague's season, as the team wound up counting on a newcomer to produce the best scores every tournament. She came through with those expectations, posting the team's highest 18-hole average at 77.97 for the golfers that played in at least 10 events.

Now a sophomore, Hague is in a more comfortable role to lead the team, especially with some enthusiastic backing from her coach.

"There is no limit to what Jenna can accomplish in her golf career," coach Katherine Mowat said. "She has everything it takes to be successful. She is a student of the game, always learning and using each experience to improve. She is not afraid of success, and she has the ability to go low. She remains humble and she is the ultimate team player."

Along with Hague, Ball State is returning most of its top players.

Senior Zoe Camus, a transfer from France, shot a 77.57 average in six events last season. The upcoming season is her last year of eligibility, and Mowat said Camus is taking her final opportunity seriously.

"I know Zoe will approach this year with a 'nothing-to-lose' [and] 'one-last-chance' mentality and she is talented and mature enough to make the most of it while being a significant contributor to our team," Mowat said.