BASEBALL: Widau hits game-winning single in 10th to give BSU the win

Ball State squeezes past Indiana Tech for close 7-6 win

In three of its last four games, Ball State has had an opportunity to win with the bases loaded and only one out. The first two tries were unsuccessful.

But on its third attempt, with senior second baseman Mitch Widau at the plate in the bottom of the 10th inning against Indiana Tech, Ball State cashed in. Widau lined a game-winning RBI single to leftfield, securing the 7-6 victory and snapping his team's five-game losing streak.

"We got bases loaded with one out, so all I'm thinking is get any pitch he throws me up in the zone and just try to hit a fly ball somewhere," Widau said. "We got a fast guy on third, and all it takes is one."

After the Cardinals loaded the bases, coach Alex Marconi told his team to find a pitch and drive it to the outfield.

"That's all you can do," Marconi said. "It doesn't matter what pitch they throw you in that situation. Get it elevated. We've got Dom [Catanzarite] on third base and he can run, so a SAC fly is all we're looking for."

Following his game-winning base hit, Widau said it was a relief to be on the other side that bases loaded situation.

"They're tough losses when you're in spots like that to win," he said. "We've been putting ourselves in a spot to win in a few games and it feels good to finally capitalize on it."

No matter who the opponent may have been, Marconi was more than happy with the end result.

The Cardinals led 3-0 after the first inning, following two-run double from first baseman Cody Campbell and an RBI single off the bat of designated hitter Brandon Estep.

After the Warriors knotted the game at 4-4 in the seventh, both teams traded a pair of runs in the bottom of the eighth and top of the ninth before Widau ended it in the 10th.

"I told our guys, 'I don't care who we're playing and how we win. A win is a win,'" Marconi said. "The Indiana Tech team played well today."

Marconi said he was most happy with the effort of his club when they faced the same bases loaded, one out situation.

"We got the win today," Marconi said. "That's invaluable experience for your team to have, especially a young team like ours."

Following a frustrating week-and-a half of play, the Cardinals (5-19) will head to Indiana University today face the Hoosiers, full of confidence after their win over the Warriors.

"Just build a little momentum," Widau said. "We've got another game [today] and then we're back in the MAC. We could use all the momentum we can get."