BASEBALL: Bowling likely to miss next start with broken hand

Surgery still possible for Ball State's ace

Right-hander Cal Bowling will likely miss his scheduled start Friday at Ohio and possibly the rest of the season, coach Alex Marconi said in a text message.

X-rays taken Monday confirmed Bowling has a broken hand. Bowling, a senior, broke his right hand during Ball State's 7-6 victory Friday when he punched the dugout wall in frustration.

Bowling's long-term status remains unknown. Surgery remains a possibility for Bowling, but Marconi is not sure if it will be necessary. If Bowling does undergo surgery, he would be out for the rest of the season. If he doesn't need surgery, he could be back on the mound soon.

Marconi said Bowling's hand will be reevaluated later in the week.

Bowling said Friday he punched the dugout wall after the top of the fifth inning. In that inning, he gave up a solo home run to Miami right fielder Bryce Redeker, which gave the RedHawks a 5-4 lead.

"It was the stupidest thing I've ever done," Bowling said Friday.

Ball State scored three runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to retake the lead. Bowling returned to the mound and went on to pitch three more innings after punching the wall. Miami scored one run on four hits and a hit batsman. Bowling also struck out two RedHawks in the final three innings.

Bowling has been Ball State's leading pitcher the last two seasons, when he has started every Friday night for the Cardinals. He is 3-2 with a 4.34 ERA this spring and has struck out 52 batters in a Mid-American Conference-leading 58 innings.

Earlier this spring, Marconi called Bowling the best pitcher Ball State has had in his seven years in Muncie. Marconi praised Bowling's savvy on the mound, which allows him to succeed without exceptional tools.

Tyler Poslosky contributed to this report.