GYMNASTICS: Ball State rebounds to win over Eastern Michigan

Cards take bars, beam and floor in win

The puzzle pieces came together for the Ball State gymnastics team. The Cardinals beat the Eagles at home 193.425 to 192.150.

"It was really nice we didn't get a head of ourselves they deserved to win today," coach Nadalie Walsh said. "I think once they come together they are very hard to take apart."

Ball State won three events tonight; bars, beam and floor. Only falling to Eastern Michigan on the vault.

"It was a total group effort by every single one of them," Walsh said. "Even down to the girls who were not out on competition equipment."

On floor there was a seven-way tie for second place. Brooklyn Schumacher, Emily Wehrle, Aftyn Siemer and Nicole Allen all scored 9.725 for Ball State. Rounding out the seven was Miranda Jarvis, Amanda Fuller and Kristen Yourick of Eastern Michigan. Angie Hosback finished first on floor with a 9.800.

"I think sometimes the judges get a little tight and don't want to give out a little bit more," Walsh said. "I'm going to take this back to the girls and say look we need another tenth, find it in your routine, fix it and lets go get it next week."

Allen competed all around for Ball State Friday for the first time in a few meets. She tied for second place on floor, bars, and vault. Allen also place fifth on beam with a score of 9.675.

Leah Wilson and Wehrle both had a solid night on the beam tying for first place. Both scored a 9.750 to help their team win that event 48.475 to 47.425.

The Cardinals placed top three on bars. Julie Cotter remained solid with a 9.825 claiming first place. Kayla Kmiecik tied for second place with Allen. Both Kmiecik and Allen had a score of 9.700

"Julie is just a rock and a pleaser to watch and she wants it," Walsh said.

Next weekend is a busy weekend for the team traveling. They compete on both Friday and Sunday. Friday they take on Michigan State University and on Sunday meet up with Western Michigan.