MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State picked to finish fourth in MIVA preseason poll

McIlvaine earns preseason conference honors

An upset win by Quincy over Ball State in the quarterfinals of the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Tournament in 2011 may have conflicted coaches on which team is better heading into the 2012 season.

The two teams tied for fourth with 21 votes in the MIVA Preseason Coaches Poll that was released Tuesday.

Sophomore setter Graham McIlvaine was also named to the Preseason All-MIVA team.

Loyola was picked to finish first in the conference despite the fact that Ohio State, ranked second in the poll, is coming off a NCAA Tournament and MIVA Tournament championship.

The lessened expectations for Ohio State comes from the departure of the majority of its championship lineup to graduation. Loyola retained six of its starters after finishing the 2011 season ranked 12th in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Top 15 Poll and as a MIVA Tournament finalist. 

Lewis was ranked third in the poll, while Grand Canyon was slotted in the sixth spot. 

Ball State enters the 2012 without the services of five of its top players from last season in Anders Nelson, J.D. Gasparovic, Dominic Spadavecchio, Marcus Imwalle and Lee Meyer, which all recently graduated.

Players such as sophomore middle blocker Kevin Owens and fifth-year senior outside attacker Jeff Aucoin, a transfer from New Hampshire, will be counted on to help offset the turnover from last year.

Ball State's 2012 season beings Saturday night with its annual exhibition match against alumni players at 7:30.