MEN'S BASKETBALL: Akron tops Ball State in Worthen Arena

Four players score in double figures for the Zips to overpower the Cardinals

Ball State's struggles against the Mid-American Conference East Division continued Tuesday night as the Cardinals lost to Akron 70-58 at home.

Ball State (12-6, 4-2 MAC) jumped out to an early 9-0 lead to begin the game but Akron (13-7, 5-1 MAC) responded with a 14-3 run of its own soon after.

Ball State forward Jarrod Jones got the Cardinals off to a fast start as he scored the first 12 points for the Cardinals. Jones led all scorers, finishing with 25 points and nine rebounds.

Jones has scored 20 plus points in half of the Cardinals first 18 games this season. Point guard Randy Davis scored 11 points and had five boards.

The Cardinals' three point percentage was just 23.8 percent (5-for-21) and they shot 36.2 percent (21-for-58) from the floor.

Four players scored in double figures for the Zips. Brian Walsh scored 16 points while Quincy Diggs had 16 points off the bench for Akron.

Alex Abreu scored 12 points going 4-for-5 from three. Demetrius Treadwell followed close behind with 11.

The Zips shot an impressive 50 percent (9-for-18) on three-pointers and shot 47.9 percent (23-for-48) from the floor.

Akron out-rebounded Ball State 26 to 24 and had 30 points come from its bench compared to just four points for Ball State.

Ball State finished 1-5 versus the East Division last season and are now 0-1 so far this year.