WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State looks to build on its first win

Underclassmen contributing heavily early in the season

After securing its first win of the season on Saturday, Ball State looks to go two-for-two on its current home stand when it squares off with Oakland City at 7 p.m. in Worthen Arena.

The Cardinals (1-3) came away with an 81-72 victory over Murray State on Saturday afternoon thanks to strong efforts from sophomore forward Jazmin Hitchens and freshman guard Brittany Carter.

Hitchens set a new career-high with 22 points against the Racers, while adding seven boards and three blocks to her box score. Carter, who has had success offensively for the Cardinals in her rookie season, chipped in with nine points and four defensive rebounds.

Tonight's game marks the second game in three days for the Cardinals, and being able to make a quick turnaround and coming into the game rested is key said coach Kelly Packard.

"We'll be wise," Packard said. "We need to be able to get proper rest. I think the scout will be more film and walkthrough [than actual practice]."

The Cardinals will hold a shoot-around around 2 p.m. this afternoon, which will take the place of an actual practice.

Oakland City (0-3), has earned trips to the women's NCAA National Tournament 12 times, finishing second in 1993 and 2006. The Oaks have advanced to Regional Tournament competition 24 times.

Despite being winless this season, the Oaks could prove to be a tough test for Packard and her team.

"This time of year, 4 and 1/2 weeks [into the season], we want to play right now," Packard said. "We don't want to be on the practice court for three hours. We'll make sure we know Oakland City and we'll get shots up and make sure that they come into [tonight] rested."

Defending their home floor has been a highlight for Packard, who owns a 31-15 record, and the Cardinals are in search of adding their second victory of the season to that statistic.