FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State suffers another disastorous loss

Ohio makes easy work of Cards in 9-1 rout

It was a mismatch from the opening draw as the Ball State field hockey team was completely dominated by Ohio on Saturday.

With hopes of securing their second Mid-American Conference victory of the season, the Cardinals suffered a 9-1 blowout to the Bobcats, adding more frustration to the 2011 season.

It was a poor outing from freshman goalkeeper Haley Fusting, who allowed five goals before being benched in favor of senior Chelsea Mitchell. Down by five goals, Mitchell did little to get the Cardinals back into the game by allowing four goals.

Ohio scored at will against the Cardinals. Less than two minutes into the game, junior Taylor Brown netted her eighth goal of the season to open up the scoring flood. Less than five minutes later, Brown tallied her second score of the game and ninth of the season off of a one-timer. Senior Brooke Edwards also had two scores while junior Cathryn Altdoerffer recorded a hat trick.

Six of Ohio's 11 starters recorded at least one shot while four notched one or more shots on goal and had a minimum of one assist on the afternoon.

Outshot 20 to four, the Cardinals were down by nine goals before senior forward Devanny Kuhn tallied the teams' first score of the game at the 68:46 mark. The goal came on a two-on-one fast break. It was Kuhn's first goal in two games, and team-leading third of the season. In addition to scoring, Kuhn recorded all four shots for Ball State.

Ball State (1-9, 1-2) is back in action Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. as it travels to Kent, Ohio, for another MAC contest against the defending conference champion Golden Flashes.