SOCCER: Players using new methods to prepare for Western Michigan

Ball State feeling confident in its chemistry on the field

With Mid-American Conference play starting this weekend, most teams would hold very structured practices to make sure everything is perfectly tuned for competition.

The Ball State soccer team is taking a different approach to gear up for its game against Western Michigan this Friday.

After installing another new formation earlier this week, coach Craig Roberts decided to open up practice Thursday and let the players run it. 

Players are split up into sections based on position to run drills and work on different aspects of their game.

Despite the lightened mood, the practice is still meant to be an important experience. Roberts said it's just a different style of learning.

"We've basically given them the information they need to have," Roberts said. "It's just another way of processing and being more conscientious of what needs to be done. It shows them we are confident heading into these games and lets them evaluate things in a different way."

Over the past three games, the Cardinals have been finding their way. They are 3-0 with eight goals scored and two shutouts. Freshman Jasmine Moses says it's all about the familiarity within the team.

"We're getting more used to playing with each other and connecting better on the field," Moses said. "It's not easy to play on a team with people you don't really know. "We're still learning how to play together to create more chances."

Ball State will need that chemistry to beat Western Michigan. The Broncos are 4-4-1, but played tough competition all year. Roberts said it's good to play such a tough team in the team's first game.

"I believe Western is one of the best teams in the MAC," Roberts said. "I think it's going to be a true test for us. If we can put them away this Friday, it will give us a good start to MAC play against a quality opponent."

The Cardinals disappointed in conference play last season, winning their only game against Toledo. Senior midfielder Abby Millilo thinks this team and this season will be a whole different story.

"It is up to the upperclassmen to keep the right mentality in conference play," Millilo said. "It is about attitude as much as it's about skill. There is a lot more passion in conference play than in the nonconference. Everything is on the line here."