FOOTBALL: Snead's role in Ball State offense quickly growing

After scoring game-winning touchdown last weekend, Wenning targets Snead early against Army

Freshman wide receiver Willie Snead is quickly becoming quarterback Keith Wenning's favorite target.

Last week, Snead caught the game-winning touchdown in the final minute against Buffalo. On Saturday, he had a career-high of 10 receptions for 180 yards with one touchdown to help Ball State rout Army 48-21.

"Coming off the big catch last week I felt I just had to maintain working hard and have a good week of practice," Snead said. "I just had to transfer that to the field and I got going early with the post route. My confidence shot through and then me and [Wenning] were on the same page the rest of the game."

Wenning targeted Snead early and often as his first four pass attempts went to him in the Cardinal's opening drive. His first two catches went for 17 and 18 yards, respectively.

In the second quarter, Snead had a touchdown catch negated when senior wide receiver Briggs Orsbon was penalized for offensive pass interference. That next play, Snead nearly ran the same route as Wenning found him over the middle for a 21-yard touchdown pass which put the Cardinals up 21-0 on the Black Knights.

"Me and [Wenning] really have a good connection," Snead said. "We talk a lot about what happens on the field. We study film a lot and we look at defenses and safeties rolling and we know we've got something going on."

Wenning said the reason Snead has been the primary target is because of the chemistry the two have.

"Out on the field we think alike," he said. "We see the defenses the same so that's a positive being on the same page."

Ball State may have depth at the wide receiver position with Snead, Orsbon, Torieal Gibson and Connor Ryan, but Snead outshined everyone today. Snead's 180 receiving yards was the most by a Ball State wide receiver since former Cardinal Dante Love had 214 yards at Nebraska in 2007.

With Wenning, Snead and freshman running back Jahwan Edwards all underclassmen and the most productive offensive players so far this season, Snead feels the future is bright for Ball State football.

"I feel like we've got good chemistry that started at Lucas Oil," Snead said. "Game after game it's been consistent with our play. I'm just happy to be apart of it and I think we can do some great things after this."