TRACK AND FIELD: Ball State to compete in Polytan Invitational

Cardinals won't compete until second day of meet in Bloomington

Coming off a weekend that saw the team pick up 11 top-10 finishes in West Lafayette, the Ball State track and field team will continue its tour of Indiana starting Friday.

Ball State will travel to Indiana University for the three-day Polytan Invitational.

The Cardinals could be in for another rainy meet, as forecasts call for a chance of storms throughout the weekend. In the trip to Purdue, Ball State had six top-five finishes despite cold and rainy conditions.

Ball State will not participate in Thursday's events because zero Cardinals are entered in the decathlon or heptathlon.

They will start competing at 4:30 p.m. Friday with the triple jump, featuring senior Megan Cherry and sophomore Alyssa Hurlburt. Javelin will also begin at 4:30 p.m., with senior Thekla Lorenz and sophomore Jorden Traver representing Ball State.

Lorenz had four top-10 results last week.

This is the fourth meet the team has had in the state since the beginning of the outdoor season.

The Cardinals' sole out-of-state meet prior to the Mid-American Conference championships was in Oxford, Ohio, on April 8-9.

Ball State's 4x100-meter relay team will compete Friday. The team includes freshman Rebecca Lomax, sophomore Judah Smith, Lorenz and junior Janae Taylor.

Sophomore MaryKate Mellen will represent Ball State in the 1500 meters.

Saturday competition starts at 11 a.m.

Lorenz will be pulling triple-duty Saturday. She will run in the 100-meter hurdles and as part of the 4x400 relay team with freshman Hannah Lange, Taylor and Smith. She will also compete in the long jump.

Senior Ra'Jae Marable will also run in the 100-meter hurdles.