BASEBALL: Freshman has career day with 10 RBIs

Mahala records three home runs, two grand slams in double-header

Freshman first baseman Kenny Mahala watches as his second grand slam in consecutive innings goes over the fence against Bowling Green Sunday afternoon. The Cardinals and Eagles split the doubleheader, but Bowling Green went on to win the series. DN PHOTO DYLAN BUELL

Entering Sunday's double-header, true freshman Kenny Mahala had just three RBIs on the season.

By Sunday afternoon, he had more than tripled his RBI production in a double-header versus Mid-American Conference opponent Bowling Green.

The 6-foot-2-inch infielder nearly took batting practice off the Bowling Green pitchers in two games.

In the fourth inning of Game 1 with the bases loaded, Mahala connected on a 1-1 pitch, driving it over the left field fence for a grand slam home run, the first of his career.

Mahala said he had no idea his first career homer would be as dramatic as it was.

"I definitely didn't think it was going to be a grand slam, which made it two times better because it meant more," he said.

The next inning was identical to the previous one for Mahala. With a 1-1 count and the bases loaded, he hit his second grand slam of the game.

When the final out of the first game was recorded, Mahala had 8 RBIs for the game, two shy for the most in a single game in Ball State history.

Mahala's bat stayed hot in the Game 2 versus the Falcons.

The game was scoreless when Mahala hit a two-run home run to right field, his third of the day.

"It still felt good in the second game," Mahala said.

Mahala turned in a career performance at the plate, going a combined 4-for-8, with three home runs, a single, 10 RBIs and three runs scored.

After the game, coach Alex Marconi handed Mahala one of two game balls, but the freshman said his performance meant the same to him with or without receiving the game ball.

"Game balls don't really mean that much," Mahala said. "It's just another ball you can put in your bag and play catch with. You've just got to keep producing."