BASEBALL: Cardinals post second consecutive shutout win

Bowling throws second complete game of season in 2-0 over Miami

This week was memorable for junior starting pitcher Cal Bowling.

The Ball State right-hander tossed his second complete game in as many outings Friday in his team's 2-0 win over Mid-American Conference East Division leading Miami.

On March 25 versus Ohio, Bowling pitched a complete game, allowing just one run on two hits for the Cardinals.

This time, Bowling allowed just four hits and striking out six RedHawks in nine innings.

Ball State (5-18) scored the first run of the game when freshman infielder Kenny Mahala drove an RBI single up the middle, scoring junior second baseman Mitch Widau from third base.

Bowling retired the first six batters he faced, striking out two in

the bottom of the first inning.

The Cardinals added another run in the seventh inning on freshman Mitch Overley's RBI single, making the score 2-0 Ball State.

Bowling retired the final nine RedHawks hitters he faced, capping the complete game shutout.

Ball State has won three of its past four games, and has recorded shutouts in back-to-back contests.

Bowling now has a record of (3-1) on the season for the Cardinals.

Ball State is now (3-1) in MAC play and has two games remaining with Miami.

Game 2 between the Cardinals and RedHawks is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.

Senior lefty Derek Grabner will take the hill for Ball State. Grabner (0-2, 4.32 ERA) will make his seventh start of the season, still in search of his first win. Through 33 1/3 innings of work, Grabner has recorded 19 strikeouts to 10 walks.

Senior left-hander Tyler Melling will get the call for Miami. Melling is a perfect (5-0) through six starts for the RedHawks and owns a 2.00 ERA.

Melling is a power pitcher, who racks up the strikeouts. Through 36 innings, Melling has recorded 29 strikeouts to just three walks.