BASEBALL: Cardinals to travel to Myrtle Beach

Ball State to play four weekend games in Caravelle Resort Invitational

Ball State is set to kick off its annual spring break trip, taking part in the Caravelle Resort Invitational hosted by Coastal Carolina.

The Cardinals square off against tournament host Coastal Carolina (5-4) tonight at 6 p.m.

Ball State enters tournament play this weekend supporting a (1-5) record after dropping all three games to Kennesaw State and salvaging a game versus Southeast Missouri State. 

The Cardinals have scored 39 runs in six games this season, and own a team batting average of .277.

The bullpen has been inconsistent and is a major reason why the team's 8.94 ERA is so high. Opponents have had there way with Ball State pitchers this season, hitting .338 against them. Control has been lacking for the Cardinals, as they've issued 50 walks adverse to 31 strikeouts.

Senior Morgan Coombs has made two appearances out of the bullpen for the Cardinals this season, and has not allowed an earned run in 3 1/3 innings of work. Junior lefty Justin Warrington leads the team with four relief appearances and owns a 6.75 ERA in 2 2/3 innings. Coombs and Warrington are just two of the 11 different pitchers first year coach Alex Marconi has used out of the bullpen this season.

Freshman right-hander Jacob Brewer will take the hill tonight for Ball State against the Chanticleers, who are ranked No. 27 in the country, according to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Brewer, who is (0-1), with 24.30 ERA will be making his first collegiate career start of the season tonight. Brewer was dealt a loss on Feb. 25 versus Southeast Missouri State after tossing 1/3 of an inning and surrendering four earned runs off of one hit. Brewer will need to stay calm against an aggressive Chanticleers ballclub.  

Junior right-hander Anthony Meo will counter for Coastal Carolina tonight. Meo is (0-1), with a 9.00 ERA in his 11 innings of work this season. Meo is a strikeout pitcher, with 15 on the season.

Junior second baseman Mitch Widau leads the team with a .462 batting average over the span of four games. Widau has collected six hits, including both home runs for the Cardinals this season.

Junior center fielder Cody Elliott is second on the team with a batting average of .400, and leads the Cardinals with 12 hits and nine RBIs.

Sophomore left fielder Kirby Campbell enters tournament play this weekend with a five-game hitting streak for Ball State. With a batting average of .381, Campbell leads the team with eight runs scored.

Senior left-hander Derek Grabner will take the mound against Marshall in the first of two games Saturday. Grabner is in search of his first decision of the season, with an ERA of 3.38 in 10 2/3 innings pitched.

Junior right-hander Cal Bowling will take the mound for the second game of the day-night double-header, supporting a 5.40 ERA. Bowling is also in search of his first decision of the season.

Elliott will get the call on Monday as the Cardinals wrap up the Caravelle Resort Invitational. Elliot is (0-1), with a 16.20 ERA on the season, coming off of bicep tendinitis. 

Due to forecasted inclement weather Sunday, the weekend's schedule has been altered with no games scheduled for Sunday. Ball State will play a day-night double-header Saturday, matching up with Marshall (3-3) at 3:30 p.m. and Quinnipiac (0-0) at 7 p.m. The Cardinals conclude tournament play with a second game against Coastal Carolina Monday at 4 p.m. All games will be played at Watson Stadium on the campus of Coastal Carolina.