BASEBALL: Cardinals lose two Saturday games

Ball State loses to Marshall, Quinnipiac in double-header

Ball State wrapped up their second day of the Caravelle Resort Invitational with a pair of losses.

Last week, first year coach Alex Marconi pointed to his bullpen as the sole reason for the majority of Ball State's losses in the early goings of the season.

For the most part, the bullpen has been effective this weekend.

Surprisingly, the defense has been Ball State's weakest link in tournament play. In the three games it has played at Myrtle Beach, Ball State has committed 10 errors.

A blown lead in its first game against Marshall led to a 12-8 defeat, and a rally that fell just short versus Quinnipiac dealt Ball State its fourth straight loss of the season.

Marshall pounded out a four-run second inning, lighting up Ball State starter, senior left-hander Derek Grabner.

The Cardinals answered the bell in the bottom half of the inning, tallying three runs, thanks in large part to a cluster of fielding miscues from the Thundering Herd.

Ball State added two runs in both the third and fourth innings and another in the fifth, giving it an 8-4 edge.

Sophomore Stephen Claypool reached base following a fielding error committed by the Marshall second baseman. Junior Mitch Widau followed with a double down the right field line, putting runners on second and third for the Cardinals.

Designated hitter T.J. Weir collected an RBI when he grounded out to the shortstop, and freshman Sean Godfrey lined an RBI single to right field, before the third inning came to a close.

Junior Cody Elliott hit a home run for Ball State in the fourth, when he connected on the first pitch, driving the ball over the left field wall for a two-run home run. It was Elliot's first home run of the season.

Grabner was lifted in the sixth for senior right hander Morgan Coombs. Coombs found himself in trouble in the seventh, allowing five runs.

Marshall tagged Coombs for three doubles in the inning, but the Ball State defense committed two errors.

The Thundering Herd pushed another run across in the ninth before closing out the game.

In the night portion of the double-header, Ball State squared off with Quinnipiac.

Junior right hander Cal Bowling started for Ball State, in search for his first decision of the season.

Bowling had his best outing of the season, tossing six innings, allowing five runs, one of which was earned and whiffing seven.

Down by a run in the bottom of the third, left fielder Kirby Campbell reached base on a throwing error and advanced to third. Sophomore catcher Kevin Franchetti hit a fly ball to right, enabling Campbell to tag from third and score, tying the game at 1-1.

The Cardinals added two more runs in the third to take a 3-1 lead.

Quinnipiac exploited every hole in the defense of Ball State, as the Cardinals committed two of their five total errors in the fifth inning, giving four runs to the Bobcats.

The Cardinals got within one run in the seventh, but couldn't muster any further offense.

Bowling was dealt the loss and is now 0-1 in three starts on the season.

Baumet went a combined 4-for-8, with four singles and a pair of RBIs, while Widau went 3-for-8, with three runs scored, a pair of singles and a double. Elliott went 1-for-9, with a two-run home run in the double-header.

No games are scheduled for Sunday due to inclement forecasted weather.

Ball State wraps up tournament play with a rematch versus tournament host Coastal Carolina.

The two teams played Friday, with the Chanticleers winning 11-1. Ball State will look to salvage its final day of the Caravelle Resort Invitational with an upset over the 27th ranked team in the country.