TRACK AND FIELD: Cardinal seniors looking forward to home meet

Cardinals to compete in lone home meet of indoor season

Ball State Track and Field will compete this Friday at 5 p.m. in its only home meet of the indoor and outdoor season at the Field Sports Building.

For the seniors on the team it will be one of only a handful of times they have had the honor to compete on Ball State's home soil.

Seniors on this year's indoor team are Ali Bishel, Thekla Lorenz, RaJae Marable, Megan Cherry, Kelsey Nielsen, Lindsay Bangert and Jordan Puckett.

"They have been a wonderful class and I hope they all do well at the conference meet," Assistant Coach Sunder Nix said "they have all been training at a high level so we expect them to run fast, this is it for them."

Ali Bishel has been a strong staple in distance. Last weekend she placed first in the 3,000-meter run at the Hoosier Hills Invitational.

"Ali is not your average runner." Coach Randy Heisler said.

Thekla Lorenz is a senior from Germany who is a multi event athlete for the cardinals. "My events are normally long jump, hurdles, a throwing event and 4x400" Lorenz said.

RaJae Marable is ranked seventh in the 60-meter hurdle event for the MAC. "I'm excited and kind of nervous because it is my last home meet." Marable said.

Megan Cherry is a former gymnast who walked on to the cardinal team and has done great things for the team. "She is jumping two feet beyond her lifetime best," coach Heisler said "…when six weeks ago you had a broken back, per say, and now you are jumping"

Kelsey Nielsen is a distance runner that is out for the season because of an injured right knee. Her favorite memory with the team is spaghetti dinners before meets.

"Those senior are the ones that are going to lead the way." Coach Heisler said.