BASEBALL: Ball State drops first game against Southeast Missouri State

Bullpen falls apart as Cards drop to 0-4

Ball State's late inning rally fell short 12-7 in its series opener versus Southeast Missouri State Friday afternoon.

Prior to the series, first year coach Alex Marconi said the Redhawks were going to swing the bats well.

They did just that, pounding out 12 runs on 16 hits.

Junior starting pitcher Cal Bowling lasted just four innings, giving up three runs off of seven hits, walking two and striking out two, before giving way to the bullpen, which self destructed.

The combination of freshman Jacob Brewer and junior Justin Warrington imploded for Ball State, giving up seven runs, five of which were earned on four hits, recording just two outs in the fifth inning.

The Redhawks (4-1) lit up the scoreboard in the bottom half of the first inning. Bowling yielded two consecutive singles followed by a two-run double. Ball State trailed 3-0 when the first inning came to a close.

The Cardinals battled back to tie the game at 3-3 in the fourth inning, before surrendering seven runs in the bottom of the fifth making the deficit 10-3 in favor of the Redhawks.

The Cardinals hitters squandered one too many scoring opportunities.

Sophomore Blake Beemer struck out looking with the bases loaded in the top of the second inning, while sophomore third baseman Stephen Claypool grounded back to the pitcher with the bases loaded to end the fourth inning for the Cardinals.

Ball State's three, four and five hole hitters went a combined 2-for-11, with an RBI and three strikeouts.

Marconi will look for more run support from the middle of his lineup in the remaining two games of the series.

The first three hitters in the Redhawks lineup proved to be too much for Ball State to handle.

Junior shortstop Kenton Parmley, senior left fielder Michael Adamson and senior first baseman Brett Russell went a combined 10-for-15, with five runs scored and three RBIs, leading the Redhawks to victory.

It was a sloppy game defensively for both teams. Ball State committed three errors to Southeast Missouri State's five.

The two teams will meet again Saturday for the second game of the three-game weekend series.

Senior left-hander Derek Grabner will take the hill for Ball State. Grabner is looking for his first decision of the season.

Senior right-hander Jon Dicus will make his second start of the season for Southeast Missouri State. Dicus (1-0) is in search of his second win.

First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Capaha Park in Cape Girardeau, Mo.