MEN'S GOLF: Ball State has high expectations for Bearcat Invitational

After playing inconsistently for weeks, the Ball State men's golf team has a chance to shine at the Bearcat Invitational today and Tuesday in Hebron, Ky.

The Cardinals placed second of 17 teams in last year's Bearcat Invitational. They're familiar with playing at Traditions Golf Club, and they've proven themselves in practice this week.

"We're definitely capable of doing some things at this event," coach Mike Fleck said. "I hope that we continue to play some good solid team golf and that the guys are sharp. We're ready to play."

Following a third place finish at the Renaissance Invitational last week, Fleck said his team was capable of even better results and expected it to play up to those standards.

Senior Eric Steger said the Cardinals have practiced well enough to indicate that they will fulfill those expectations.

"It's been a quick turnaround and we've only had a few days of practice, but everybody is hitting it good right now," Steger said. "Hopefully we can all play well tomorrow and take the good practices into the tournament."

Steger had one of his best performances of the 2009 season at last year's Bearcat Invitational, finishing second in the individual competition. He said his recent play in practice could lead to the same type of finish this year.

"I hit it pretty well [Sunday] in the practice round and all week in practice," Steger said. "I like the course and the greens are good out here, so I'm feeling pretty good heading in."

While the course conditions won't be as unfamiliar to Ball State as the Bermuda grass at the Renaissance Invitational was, the Cardinals will still have to make some adjustments to how they usually play.

"It's a little bit different than what we're used to back home," Fleck said. "There's a little bit more hills and it's a little bit more of a target golf course. But the course is in real good shape.

"Just like any golf course, we have to drive it off the tee and put ourselves in position. Then hopefully we can hit it onto the greens and sink some putts."