WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State upset on the road by Wright State

Cardinals winning streak snapped at seven

The worst performance of the season was a costly one for the Ball State women's volleyball team.

Committing 27 errors on the road at Wright State (4-6) snapped Ball State's seven-game winning streak and 21-set winning streak as they lost 25-16, 23-25, 25-23, 25-20.

"We were sluggish in practice all week and it carried over. Wright State simply outplayed us and were more aggressive from start to finish," coach Steve Shondell said. "They knocked us out of system a lot. It wasn't a good day for us."

Ball State fell to 7-1. The loss is also Shondell's first as collegiate head coach.

Wright State committed only 18 errors while hitting .233 for the match. The Raiders held the Cardinals to a .180 rate of success.

Ball State got off to a sluggish start and never really recovered. Freshman outside hitter Whitney Heeres and junior middle blocker Kelsey Brandl tried to carry Ball State to victory, but were unable to. Heeres recorded 16 kills while Brandl notched 13 of her own. Junior setter Brittany McGinnis got into the act, throwing down seven kills of her own.

"Communication was a big part of our problem," Heeres said. "We just didn't communicate. We didn't play our game. It's really disappointing knowing we could have come out stronger and that we should have won this game."

Heidi Splinter led Wright State with 17 kills. Shaunda Sandifer added 14 while Jessica Woods posted 10 kills.

"I'm pretty disappointed about losing," senior libero Alyssa Rio said. "I told the team this is not happening again. It's the last time this is going to happen."

The Ball State errors were too much to overcome. Wright State continued to apply pressure with a consistent attack and strong presence at the net.

Both teams recorded over 70 digs a piece. Rio had 28 digs and McGinnis recorded 14.

Jessica Woods notched 26 digs while Hedi Splinter had 19. Kenzie Egan added 17 of her own to help the Raider defense.

For more on the game read Monday's edition of The Ball State Daily News