WOMEN'S GOLF: No bounce-back necessary for BSU

Cardinals to build upon program-best MAC finish last season

Looking to repeat its championship in the Mid-American Conference Tournament Preview, the Ball State women's golf team is entering this season with confidence.

"We believe in the process that we've taken before to prepare for tournaments," coach Katherine Mowat said.

The Cardinals will continue the same practice routines and work going into the season. After having a quality spring season, the women are ready to start the fall. Senior Brittany Kelly is ready to enjoy each week and soak it all in before she graduates.

"My goals for my senior year are to win the MAC conference championship as a team and individually," she said.

Facing new challenges and opponents, Mowat said she expects her team to give maximum effort in every event this fall. Two freshmen -- Meghan Perry and Sarah Westaway -- will begin their college careers when Ball State opens its season Sept. 11 at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich.

"I'm really confident in the new players coming to the team," Mowat said.

Only five golfers compete in tournaments, and Mowat said it will be a battle to determine her lineup.

Sophomore Chantelle Hefer, who joined the team during the spring season, said each individual golfer relies on their teammates to succeed.

"We work like a well-oiled machine," Hefer said. "If one of us is broken, we all work together to fix the problem."

Kelly offered her own advice for her new teammates, saying it's important to work on time management during the first semester.

"It's tough missing class and doing work on the road while trying to focus on your game," she said.

Senior Rachael Pruett won her third-straight Terre Haute Women's City Match Play Championships this summer, this time with an 18-foot chip-in on the final round's 20th hole.

Pruett, an Academic All-MAC and MAC All-Tournament Team selection, competed in all 11 events for Ball State last season and had a season-best fifth-place finish at the MAC Championships. She posted five top-20s last season.

Mowat said 2009-10 was the best season of her coaching career. Last spring, the Cardinals finished second in the MAC Championships.

With only five tournaments in the fall season, she said has she high hopes for the team.

"It would be great to win the Iowa Invitational, which we haven't won in two years," she said of her team's second tournament of the season, which will begin Sept. 18.