WOMEN'S GOLF: Cardinals ready for this weekend's MAC Tournament

Tourney close to home at Fishers course

Playing in the last tournament of her Ball State University career won't be such a sad farewell for senior Kirsty O'Connor.

The Cardinals head to Fishers, Ind., today to begin play in the MAC Championships, and though it will be O'Connor's last meet for Ball State, she'll have plenty of opportunities to keep up with the team next year when she becomes the graduate assistant for the University of Akron women's golf team.

"I'm so grateful for the opportunity I was given [at Ball State]," O'Connor said. "It has just been amazing."

O'Connor, who owns a 79.14 average and has two top-20 finishes this year, will be joined by Brittany Kelly, Rachael Pruett, Kristtini Cain and Katie Windlan as the Ball State contingent at the Hawthorns Golf and Country Club.

"We're very excited to play in the tournament," coach Katherine Mowat said. "We're in great shape physically and mentally — right where we want to be."

The course is par-72, 6,037 yards and this will be the first time the MAC Championships have been held at this Central Indiana club.

Kelly, a junior, has proven to be Ball State's top golfer heading into the MAC tournament. She has seven top-10 finishes in 10 events this season alone. She leads the team with a 75.21 average.

Pruett is second on the team with a 77.86 average in 10 tournaments. She owns four top-20 finishes this year and managed a career-low 71 in Ball State's last tournament at the Indiana University Invitational on April 10-11.

Cain owns a 78.14 average and has posted two top-10 and three top-20 finishes this season. She posted a career-low 69 at the UNLV Spring Rebel Invitational March 8, tying the Ball State school record for lowest 18-hole score.

Windlan, meanwhile, has played in all 10 events and owns an 80.79 average. She has two top-20 finishes, including a 13th-place showing at the Iowa Hawkeye Invitational where she was the Cardinals' top finisher.