TRACK: Ball State travels to Purdue for weekend

Cardinals find their identity in training phases

After a solid performance at last week's Polar Bear Invitational at Indiana Wesleyan University, the Ball State University track and field team is looking to improve itself going into this weekend's meet at Purdue University.

It is early in the outdoor season, however coach Randy Heisler is making moves that will make the team's identity clearer. Heisler said he plans to redshirt several freshman, giving them another year to mature.

"We're just trying to put all the pieces together so that by the conference meet, we should be in position to score," Heisler said. "We should not be shocked about scoring some points, either."

The team expects RaJae Marable to return this weekend, running in the 100 meter dash. Heisler says he expects freshmen Erica Campbell and Sharise Logwood to return next weekend.

Heisler also said that the team continues to practice in an intense training mode, and that the team is in good shape for training. 

"We are running 4000 to 6000 meters every day," Heisler said. "Hopefully, that will pay off six weeks from now [for the conference meet]."

With the team training in high intensity, Heisler says he still expects everyone to do their best and achieve personal records.

Senior thrower Tyra Schantz believes that everyone is doing their part and is on schedule in terms of preparation.

"I think everybody is feeling a lot more confident than at the beginning of the indoor season," Schantz said. "Everybody is giving their ‘A' effort right now as far as training goes.  Right now, we are where we need to be."

The Mike Poehlein Invitational will mostly field teams from the Division-I level. As similar to the Polar Bear Invite, the meet is non-scored.

The 10-team meet will begin Friday night with one event, the hammer throw, to kick off the meet. The remainder of the events will begin Saturday morning at 10 a.m. with the discus throw.