MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State setter takes home national player of the week honors

Cardinals sweep MIVA weekly awards for first time this year

Senior setter Ethan Pheister has placed No. 13 Ball State University in the national spotlight.

Phiester was named the American Volleyball Coaches Association Men's Division I-II National Player of the Week on Monday for his performance Saturday against IPFW.

"Ethan is definitely playing well and I think our guys are definitely playing well around him," coach Joel Walton said. "It was Ethan's entire effort and all-around body of work that he put in the IPFW match that earned him the accolade."

Pheister led a balanced offensive attack against the Mastadons as four Cardinals reached double digit kills. The Cardinals won the match in a 3-0 sweep (30-28,30-23,30-22). Ball State is 5-0 during Pheister's career when four Cardinals score 10 or more kills in a match. Pheister was productive on the defensive side of the net too, earning nine digs and four block assists.

Libero Billy Ebel was not to be outdone by his teammate, as the senior won the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Defensive Player of the Week award for the fourth straight week. Ebel has won the award seven times this season.

Pheister was named MIVA Offensive Player of the Week to go along with his national award. It is the first time this season that a Cardinal won the MIVA Offensive Player of the week award.

Walton does not want Pheister, Ebel and the rest of the Cardinals to stop winning awards as the All-MIVA Tournament and All-American teams are still to come.

"The more important honors are still out there," Walton said. "If they make one of those teams it's really high praise."

Ball State will play No. 10 Ohio State University on Wednesday night in Columbus. The Buckeyes are two-time defending MIVA champions.