BASEBALL: Ball State opens home schedule with win over Miami

Cardinals capitalize on RedHawksGÇÖ mistakes and then pitch rest of the way to victory

A four-run fifth inning propelled Ball State University to a 6-3 victory in its home opener Friday against Miami University.

The Cardinals (9-15) took advantage of an error on shortstop Ryan Kaup in the inning. The error allowed Ball State to bring Kolbrin Vitek and Zach Dygert to the plate. The third and fourth hitters in the Ball State lineup came through with a double and a home run.

Starting pitcher Perci Garner (3-0) threw six innings, allowing three runs for the victory. Closer Aaron Hammons pitched a scoreless ninth for his second save.

The RedHawks (11-13) got a quick start to the game when second baseman Jon Edgington led off the game with a home run. The Cardinals retook the lead in the bottom of the inning with RBIs from first baseman Ian Nielsen and left fielder Kory Benbow.

While Miami would tie the game with a solo home run from Ryan Curl, the four-run inning was all the help Garner would need. He struck out six in the longest outing of his career.

Relievers Derek Grabner, Seth Hobbs and Hammons each pitched one shutout inning.
Vitek was the only Cardinal with multiple hits. The All-American went 2-for-3 with two runs and an RBI. He was also intentionally walked.

Ball State has won back-to-back games for the first time this season. It will look to win its second consecutive series today at 1 p.m. with Cal Bowling on the hill.