MEN'S GOLF: Ball State places eighth in own Cardinal Collegiate Tournament

Freshman Gasser finishes tied for ninth place as CardinalsGÇÖ top individual

The Ball State University men's golf team was unable to defend last season's championship in the Ball State Cardinal Collegiate Tournament over the weekend.

The Cardinals placed eighth in the two-day event, shooting a combined 913 (+49). The University of Evansville (889; +25) won the tournament by two strokes over Mid-American Conference rival Bowling Green State University (891; +27).

Ball State, playing host in an event four hours away from Muncie at Sultan's Run Golf Course in Jasper, Ind., was led by freshman Joe Gasser, who competed as an individual so his score did not count toward Ball State's team effort. Gasser's 222 in the tourney was six strokes over par as he finished in a tie for ninth place with four other golfers.

Bowling Green's Matt Schneider blew away the competition to take medalist honors. Schneider, who carded a 71 in all three rounds, was the only player in the field to shoot under par at -3. Marshall University's Nathan Kerns was five strokes behind to finish second.

Three other Ball State golfers finished in the top 20 individually. Sophomore T.J. Carpenter (+7) placed 14th, while Anthony Novak and Eric Skillman (+8) tied for 17th place.

Junior Eric Steger, the Cardinals' top golfer, was disqualified after signing an incorrect scorecard following the first of two rounds Saturday. Last season, when Ball State won the same event as a team, Steger finished in third place individually.

Ball State returns to the links Saturday when they travel to Bloomington for the Hoosier Invitational at Indiana University Golf Course. It is a 54-hole, two-day event.