BASEBALL: Vitek dominates Ohio in 4-0 victory

Ball State wins first series of the year

Kolbrin Vitek's phenomenal performance gave Ball State University a 4-0 victory at Ohio University in game two of a doubleheader.

Vitek (1-2) threw seven shutout innings for his first victory of the year. The junior also helped his own cause with a run and an RBI.
The win secured Ball State's first series victory of the year to open the Mid-American Conference season. The Cardinals (8-15) split the first two games of the weekend, winning 10-1 Friday, before dropping the first game Saturday 4-2.
Vitek got Ball State going with a two-out single in the first inning. He stole second and scored on catcher Zach Dygert's single. The Cardinals added two more runs in the third with RBIs from right fielder Blake Beemer and Vitek. They scored their final run in the sixth on an RBI double from first baseman Ian Nielsen.
That was more than enough for Vitek. He did not allow a hit for the first 4 1/3 innings, and only faced two more batters than the minimum. Vitek allowed just two hits and struck out six Bobcats.
Relievers Seth Hobbs and Aaron Hammons continued the dominance of Ohio. Though both hit a batter, they each also rolled a double-play ball. Ball State had three twin killings in the game.
For more on Ball State's first series win of the year, read Sunday's edition of The Ball State Daily News.