BASEBALL: Ball State upends No. 10 Louisville

Ball State becomes just second team to beat Louisville

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – For the second time this season, Ball State University upset a ranked opponent.

Ball State defeated No. 10 University of Louisville 5-1 in the second game of Saturday's doubleheader. Reliever Perci Garner (1-0) threw four innings, allowing one run for the victory. Louisville starter Tony Zych (1-1) took the loss.

Ball State (6-13) took a 2-0 lead in the second inning on four two-out singles. Third baseman Tim Issler and second baseman Mitch Widau drove in a run each from the eighth and ninth spot in the lineup.

Ball State added a run in the third and fifth inning before Louisville (17-2) got on the scoreboard. Ball State added an insurance run in the seventh, and Garner and Seth Hobbs combined to close out the game.

Kolbrin Vitek started the game for Ball State and threw four shutout innings before being removed. He allowed three hits and struck out four. Garner added six strikeouts, but walked four.

The loss was just Louisville's second of the year. The University of Mississippi, ranked No. 22, is the only other team to beat Louisville.

Ball State is 2-6 against ranked opponents this year. It upset then-No. 15 University of Arkansas on Feb. 20.

For more on Saturday's doubleheader read Sunday's edition of The Ball State Daily News.