MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State steals momentum, win from host Quincy

Meyer has career-high 27 kills in winning effort

Ball State University's 6-1 run in game five proved to be the match-changing moment Friday night at Quincy University, as the Cardinals defeated the Hawks 3-2 (30-26, 30-21, 22-30, 22-30, 15-13) at Pepsi Arena in Quincy, Ill.

Ball State (7-2, 2-2 Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association) cruised in the first two games by a combined score of 60-47 before Quincy made its comeback. The Hawks stole the momentum by winning games three and four by 30-22 scores, and looked poised to win their first match against the Cardinals in the past 21 matches when they took a 12-9 lead in the deciding fifth game to 15 points.

But Ball State redshirt freshman outside attacker Jamion Hartley scored three of the Cardinals' six points in Ball State's run to close out the match and advancing Ball State's winning streak against Quincy to 21 matches – dating to the 2001 season.

Junior outside attacker Lee Meyer led the Cardinals with a career-high 27 kills. Junior outside attacker Dominic Spadavecchio led Ball State's defense with a team-high 13 digs, while junior middle attacker Anders Nelson had 10 kills and a match-high six blocks.

For Quincy (2-5, 0-2 MIVA), Joseph Sokol paced four Hawks in double-figures with 18 kills and a team-high five blocks. Tanner Wright had a match-high 16 digs, while setter Dan Dresen had a match-best 55 assists.

Quincy doesn't have to wait long for its chance at revenge and ending its losing streak to Ball State. The two teams meet again tonight at Pepsi Arena.