DN Weekly Awards

Each week, The Daily News' sports crew picks its PPQ - the play, player and quote of the week.

This week's best:

Player of the Week
Sarah Kehe and Ben Battjes, swimming and diving: The two seniors dominated the field this weekend in their respective Ball State Relay Invitationals, as both were named the Mid-American Conference Swimmers of the Week. Kehe swam in four winning relay teams for the Cardinals — the 300-yard butterfly, the 800 freestyle, the 500 freestyle and the 400 medley. Battjes also swam in four winning relays — the 300-yard butterfly, the 500 freestyle, the 200 freestyle and the 400 medley.

Play of the Week
Emily Maggert, women's basketball: With a baseline jumper with just over nine minutes remaining in the first half of Ball State's game at Central Michigan, the junior became the 21st member of the Cardinals' 1,000-point club. Maggert was the second member of the team to reach the plateau this season, following senior guard Audrey McDonald.

Quote of the Week
"Our commitment to contain the ball, even one-on-one, wasn't to the level we were capable of. We didn't have the commitment to defend the ball. It certainly wasn't a defensive battle tonight." - Ball State women's basketball coach Kelly Packard after Central Michigan shot 50 percent from the field in its 86-80 win Tuesday over the Cardinals.

Fan Choice
Malik Perry, men's basketball: With 11 votes and 41 percent of the poll, the junior forward edged Maggert, who had 10 votes, to win this semester's first Fan Choice poll. Perry averaged 11 points and 4.6 rebounds per game as the Cardinals went 3-3 over Winter Break. To vote in next week's poll, log onto Monday's online edition at bsudailynews.com.

To vote in next week's fan choice poll, check out Monday's online edition of The Ball State Daily News.