BREAKING NEWS: Ball State will not renew contracts of soccer coach Lovett, field hockey coach Payne

The Ball State University athletics department Wednesday evening announced that the contracts of soccer coach Mike Lovett and field hockey coach Annette Payne will not be renewed.

The contracts of soccer assistant coach Amber Alexander and field hockey assistant coach Liz Sanders will also not be renewed.

"Part of my job is to make sure our student-athletes have a good experience here, and a good experience here being successful not only academically, but also athletically," Ball State athletics director Tom Collins said. "With those two coaches, we felt as if we needed to make some changes to get some new leadership in there and head those programs in the right direction."

Lovett was 13-23-2 (7-13-2 Mid-American Conference) in his two seasons at the helm of the program. He took over the team prior to the 2008-09 season and missed the MAC Tournament by posting a 4-13-1 (2-8-1 MAC) record in 2009-10.

Payne, who coached the team for seven seasons, was 35-96 (24-46 MAC) in her Ball State career, including the last two seasons in which the Cardinals posted a 6-31 (3-17 MAC) overall record.

Lovett and Payne are yet to return calls from The Ball State Daily News. Matt McCollester, assistant director of media relations for the athletics department, said players would not be made available for comment on the coaching situation.

Continue checking bsudailynews.com for updates. For complete coverage, read Thursday's print edition of The Ball State Daily News.