While doing some research on chest binding, I found that all of the questions that I had could be answered from someone with experience. When discussing trans issues, it’s best to just shut up and listen to a trans person. I interviewed E* who has started the journey of chest binding. They give insight into the decision to chest bind as well as what chest binding means to them.

- First, can you describe what chest binding is?

E: Chest or breast binding is the practice of using a tight undergarment to flatten your chest. People bind for different reasons. People can bind if they have body dysphoria, if they like wearing men’s clothing and want it to fit better, if they are performing drag, if they want to pass as male, or for other reasons. People with all sorts of gender identities bind. I also want to let people know that “trans” doesn’t just include female to male (ftm) or male to female (mtf). People who identify as genderqueer, genderfluid, or nonbinary can also identify as trans. I consider myself to be genderqueer and trans.

- Binding has gotten a negative reputation in the past for being unsafe. How can binding be harmful?

E: There definitely are bad ways to bind. For a while I would use an ace bandage and end up in so much pain. Any kind of tape (especially duct tape) can damage your skin, leave bruises, and even damage your ribs. There have even been cases of fluid building up in your lungs. With ace bandages, the elastic gets tighter every time they stretch. This can cause major breathing problems. I only wore the bandage a couple of times and I wouldn’t be able to walk far without feeling light headed. I have a larger chest, which made everything worse. If someone is serious about binding, I highly recommend buying an actual chest binder.

- Where can someone buy a chest binder? With bras being so expensive and sometimes hard to find, I imagine that binders are even more difficult to get?

E: It took me a while to find a binder that I liked. I spent a lot of money. Some binders that you find online are just spandex tubes that don’t do much. I had to end up layering sports bras and binders to get the shape that I wanted. After some trial and error, I was lucky to find a brand that fit my needs. Les Love Binders are made in Taiwan, so shipping can be pricey. I don’t feel the same amount of pressure on my lungs and the binder stays in place all day. I chose a pullover binder, but they also sell zipper and Velcro binders. I recommend doing research. Some binders work best for smaller breasts. Some are made with as full body shapers. There are even swimsuit options. I think it’s also important to read all of the reviews. The best way to know if something works is to get the opinion of others. Because I had gone with the DIY binder method and have just started body shaping, I was unaware of what “real” binding felt like. Being able to see my body with the binder on makes me feel so much more comfortable. For the longest time I felt so gross about how my appearance didn’t match who I actually was. The binder makes me feel more like myself.

- What piece of advice would you give someone who wants to bind?

E: Do your research. Know that binding can be done in a safe way and that there are people who can help. Listen to your body- pain is not okay. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to wear a binder. Help others who want to bind. Overall, binding is something that most people don’t talk about. Some trans people might not even know about. Binding can be life changing. For me, I don’t have the money for a breast reduction. Binding is a way that I express my identity. Binding also isn’t for everybody. Just because someone identifies as male or genderqueer doesn’t necessarily mean they want to/should chest bind. Do what makes you feel comfortable and safe.

For more on chest binding, E recommends visiting binders101.tumblr.com and transguys.com/features/chest-binding for more information.

*The subject of this interview requested that their name be withheld and changed.